Admission To The Major
MAJOR ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Students should apply for admission to the major as soon as possible after finishing the programming and mathematics pre-major work if they meet the "Guaranteed Admission Criteria" listed below.
1. Programming course requirements:
- Minimum coursework to complete: (C SC127A and 127B) or (C SC227)
- At least one programming course must be completed at the UA. Students who have transferred in credit for C SC127A and 127B or C SC227 must complete C SC335 at the UA, or other courses as approved by the advisor, prior to applying for the major.
2. Mathematics course requirements:
- Minimum coursework to complete: (MATH 124 or MATH 125) and (MATH 129 or C SC245)
- At least one of the math classes listed above must be completed at the UA. Students who have transferred in credit for all of these courses must complete MATH 215 or C SC 345 at the UA, or other courses as approved by the advisor, prior to applying to the major.
3. "Guaranteed Admission" criteria (ALL of the following must be satisfied):
- Minimum of 3.0 cumulative GPA at the UA
- Completion of minimum programming and math course requirements
- Grades of A or B in ALL computer science and math courses (calculus and higher) taken at the UA or elsewhere
- Completion of at least 24 units at the UA is required. However, students with fewer than 24 units who have otherwise completed all of the course and grade requirements are still strongly encouraged to apply in order to be considered for early admission.
Questions about admission criteria
Students who do not meet the guaranteed admission criteria should consult with an academic advisor on how to proceed. Although the Undergraduate Program Committee will consider these applications on a case-by-case basis, there is no guarantee of admission. Students who do not meet the guaranteed admission criteria should not continue to take classes on the assumption that admission will follow.
Formal application to the major is required to change from pre-computer science to major status.
To apply to the major:
- Complete and submit the online application form at the appropriate time. Applications are accepted in Spring and Fall during specific application periods that are announced on the pre-CS listserv and on this page. Applications are not accepted on a rolling basis.