The mission of the Computer Science Academic Services team is to empower students to be active and responsible owners of their education.
Our team aims to accomplish this in the following ways:
- create a safe space of acceptance, inclusion, and empathy for every student
- advise, advocate, and educate students on program requirements, policies, opportunities, and navigating the institution
- act as partners throughout a student's academic journey
As advisors, we strive to create and foster a positive working relationship with each student. Through this collaboration we encourage students to take a leadership role in their educational and career goals.
While academic advising is available to assist a student in their particular program of study, it is the student’s responsibility to read the online catalog, track academic progress, seek advising, and meet all requirements for the completion of the degree as stated in the catalog.
All Computer Science students should read and accept the CS Academic Advising Contract.
Academic advising in Computer Science is available by appointment, drop-in, and/or email, as follows:
Email advising is available to any UA student, and is appropriate for quick questions involving:
- General education requirements
- Major requirements
- Campus resources
- Department resources
Use the appropriate email address below:
- CS majors/pre-majors, last names A-F: Sam Morrow, firstname.lastname@example.org
- CS majors/pre-majors, last names G-L: email@example.com
- CS majors/pre-majors, last names M-R: Christina Beasley, firstname.lastname@example.org
- CS majors/pre-majors, last names S-Z: Valeria Martinez, email@example.com
- CS minors: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Non-CS students: email@example.com
Please allow 3-5 business days for a response to your email.
If the advisor you email determines that your email requires more than a quick response, they may request that you make an appointment instead.
Advising appointments are available to CS majors/pre-majors only, and are appropriate for the following:
- Checking degree progress
- Course registration
- Incoming transfer student
- Readmission / Back2UA / Second Start
- Academic Warning / Academic Probation
- Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal
- Long-term planning of academic career
- Study Abroad Course Approval
- Apply to graduate / Degree Audit Worksheet
Schedule an appointment with your advisor through Trellis, up to one week in advance, using the following links:
- CS majors/pre-majors, last names A-F: Sam Morrow
- CS majors/pre-majors, last names G-L: may schedule with any of the three listed advisors
- CS majors/pre-majors, last names M-R: Christina Beasley
- CS majors/pre-majors, last names S-Z: Valeria Martinez
If you do not see any available appointments, or if you are not a CS major/pre-major, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org for advising and to possibly schedule an appointment with a CS advisor.
Appointments are generally 30 minutes. However, during priority registration/advising (March to mid-April, and October to mid-November), appointments are 15-20 minutes max, for the following semester’s scheduling ONLY. (For more time-intensive advising, including a graduation plan, meet with your advisor again after registration is over.)
Drop-in advising is available to any UA student during the Fall and Spring semesters, and is appropriate for quick questions only (10-15 minutes max):
Monday-Thursday afternoons, 2:00-4:00pm
Gould-Simpson Building, Room 917
Sign in when you arrive, and the first available advisor will be happy to meet with you.
The last day of drop-in advising for the Spring 2022 semester is Thursday, May 12th.
We CANNOT accommodate the following requests during drop-in advising:
- SAP appeals
- Degree audits
- Change of major into CS
- Change of minor into CS
- 4-year/Long-term plans
Please schedule an appointment instead.