Minor in CS
A Computer Science Minor is a great way to expand your skill set. You can complement some basic programming courses with courses covering a wide variety of topics. Develop great critical and logical thinking skills, and stand out from the crowd! You can download a PDF of the computer science minor requirements below:
Minor Requirements Document
View the CS minor requirements here.
How to Declare the Computer Science Minor:
All students wanting to declare the CS minor, must complete the online information session. Once you complete the online information session, click the link on the last slide to complete the online minor declaration form. The CS minor will be added to your plan within 1 week.
Computer Science Core
Required: CSC 110 (4 units) and CSC 120 (4 units)
Choose at least 6 units of upper division
CSC 3xx, CSC 4xx, and Cross-Listed courses
Select remaining units from the following courses to reach 18 units (minimum):
CSC 2xx, CSC 3xx, CSC 4xx, and Cross-Listed courses
- Cross-Listed courses include ECE 474A, LING 438, LING 439, MATH 402, MATH 443, MATH 475A, MATH 475B, PHIL 401A, PHIL 401B, and PHIL 455.
- ISTA 130 (4 units) or ECE 175 (3 units) may fulfill the CSC 110 (4 units) requirement. Students who take ECE 175 should learn some basic python before attempting CSC 120. Students completing ECE 175 are responsible for making up the unit difference that will occur as a result of taking ECE 175 (ECE 175= 3 units, CSC 110= 4 units). ECE 175 students will have to complete more than 18 units to satisfy the minor due to the unit difference and course options available.
- House numbered courses (#90-#99) do not count toward the minor.
- Double Dipping Policy: Up to two (2) courses from another subject area (ECE 175, ISTA 130, MATH 243, MATH 323, cross-listed courses) may be used toward the CS minor. Unlimited double use of CSC courses with another major or minor is permitted. View other college and department restrictions on double dipping.
- Priority enrollment is given to majors for CSC 210, CSC 245, 252, 335, 345, 352, 372, and 400 level CSC course.